2nd July 2012 Helen 0Comment

I keep meaning to get to grips with my sewing machine! It seems everytime I take it out I’m about ten minutes late and I’m learning ‘on the hop’, how to make something!  Maybe its not such a bad way to do things but sometimes it does leave me with precious little time to plan out what I’m at – which explains some fairly dodgy patchwork attempts that are stuffed into a bag sat the back of the hotpress!  One thing I did manage to start and finish fairly recently is a funky little knitting needle holder for my Mum.  She loves homemade things and is a great knitter. I modelled this on one I have myself but tweaked some of the things I wasn’t mad about to make it better and way prettier.

The concept is fairly simple.  Its a roll up pouch with ties that secure it.  When open, the needles are fitted into little slots / pockets at the bottom with a small flap of fabric on the top keeping them in place.



For this one I used two fabrics I really liked (who doesn’t like red and white spots?). I cut two equal lengths – roughly 60cm x 24cm, of each fabric.  I tacked them together with wrong sides facing.  I marked out equally spaced diagnols running across the fabrics in both directions (the spot pattern came in very handy here) and ran a series of diagnols to sew the fabrics together.  I used red thread as I liked the effect this gave the plain navy fabric – which was going to be on the inside.

A fairly basic graphic – but I’m sure you get the picture!

I folded the lower section of fabric up onto the ‘main piece’ and stitched a series of ten lines about 14cm long, and equally spaced, on the lower section. These created the pockets for the needles to slot into.  I then prepared my bias by folding it in half, securing with pins and ironing it for a crisp fold. In total I prepared about 210cm of bias. I cut a length of 24cm for the area above the pockets, and a single piece about 40cm long for the ties, and the rest was for the outside. Pinning the bias in place first I stitched the edge just above the needle pockets. I pinned the ties in place and then did the outer bias edge which held them in place. When I got about a few cm from the end I trimmed the bias leaving about 1cm and tucked it under and finished the seam.


I added a seam just along the top ‘flap’ – to keep it in place and added a little stamped message on a piece of bias just inside.

My Mum was thrilled and says its particularly handy for keeping the grandkids away from her knitting stuff!

I’m going to do a smaller one for my crochet needles. One of these days!

Read my Next Post
Read my Previous Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge